1. Install Cygwin. Be sure to enable OpenSSH (Net category in Cygwin setup) and cvs (Devel category in Cygwin setup)
2. Set environment variables CVSROOT and CVS_RSH Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Advanced>Environment Variables
3. Download and install WinCVS (enable CVSNT)
4. Launch WinCVS. Go to Admin > Preferences >CVS, check Enable CVS console.
5. Go to Remote > Checkout Module, uncheck CVSROOT, enter module name, directory to checkout to, press OK. Enter password at console
6. Now you are able to use both WinCVS and common cvs from the command line in Cygwin window, both methods will share the same CVSROOT