The EPICS-based SNS Control System is consistent with the established "
standard mode" for accelerator controls.
The system is also responsible for several "global subsystems", including
a central control room, overall timing and synchronization, machine protection and an extensive switched
TCP/IP infrastructure on a Gigabit Ethernet backbone.
- There are approximately 150,000 Process Variables (PVs).
- Most devices are interfaced using standard Allen-Bradley
ControlLogic Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs).
- Control and monitoring for all major
accelerator subsystems, including magnet power supplies, radio-frequency, cryogenics, vacuum,
cooling and many special devices is integrated using approximately 150 VME/VXI-based Input/Output
- Control and monitoring of beam instrumentation devices is provided by approximately
300 PC-based "Network Attached Devices" (NADS) that are configured to look to the system like
standard EPICS IOCs.
Physics applications are developed using the
XAL toolkit and are interfaced directly
to the EPICS infrastructure.
for archiving and alarm handling come from the standard EPICS toolkit.
The controls group is also responsible
for the Personnel Protection System (PPS) which provides access control and radiation monitoring for both
the accelerator and the target systems.
Like the SNS accelerator itself, the control system was developed by a collaboration of control system developers
at three of the SNS partner laboratories.
Our partners developed control systems to accompany the subsystems being delivered by their home laboratories.
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL)
- Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL)
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL)
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL)
As these subsystems were handed over to the "home team" at ORNL, the role of the
partners was reduced from leading to mentoring and finally to occasional consulting. Final commissioning and operation
is in the hands of the ORNL Controls Group, introduced in these pages.
- front end subsystems at LBNL
- linac subsystems at LANL
- ring and timing subsystems at BNL
- target, cryogenic, and remaining global subsystems at ORNL
SNS Control Room